February 2019

General Electric Diesel Locomotives

GEd 25-ton No. 2 was built in 1951 for the New York and Pennsylvania Paper Company for use on the 36” gauge railroad inside its plant in Johnsonburg, PA. Later purchased by John Uher and modified to standard gauge, the engine ran on John’s private Coshocton, Otsego and Eastern Railroad. While only 175 horsepower, No. 2 is frequently used to move much larger engines around the AoSR site.

Click for a look inside the cab.

Fairbanks-Morse Diesel Locomotives

H12-44 #1802 was built in 1956. After serving on the Yankeetown Dock Railroad and the North Carolina Port Authority, #1802 was sold to the Ohio Central Railroad via e-Bay. You truly can purchase anything online these days!
Another U.S. Army veteran now in the Age of Steam collection, H12-44 #1852 was built in 1953. After being sold by the Army to the North Carolina Port Authority, #1852 eventually found its way to the Ohio Central Railroad. The engine was purchased on e-Bay along with identical #1802.

Electro-Motive Division Diesel Locomotives

SW1200 #1202 built 1954 serial #19532 1,200-hp ex-Aliquippa & Southern
SW1200 #1205 built 1955 serial #20637 1,200-hp ex-Aliquippa & Southern
SW1200 #1203 built 1954 serial #18877 1,200-hp ex-N&T #1203; ex-A&BB #1203; ex-Norfolk & Western #3375; originally Wabash #375
GP7 #1501 built 1953 serial #17982 1,500-hp ex-Youngstown & Austintown; ex-Pittsburgh & Lake Erie, pulled last regularly scheduled railroad-owned U.S. passenger train on July 12, 1985
SW1 #211 built 1949 serial #8153 600-hp ex-Detroit Edison River Rouge Power Plant; ex-Marysville Power Plant
SW1 #212 built 1950 serial #12087 600-hp ex-Detroit Edison Trenton Channel Power Plant
F40M-2C #452 built 1980 serial #796391-2 3,000-hp ex-Canadian American #452; ex-Amtrak #348
F40M-2C #460 built 1977 serial #777014-40 3,000-hp ex-Canadian American #460; originally Amtrak #269
SW1200 #556 built 1953 serial #18089 1,200-hp ex-Potlach #556; ex-Amtrak #556; ex-Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe #1223/1423/2423
SW1 #736 built 1942 serial #1589 600-hp ex-Amtrak #736/249; ex-Penn Central #8497; ex-New York Central #8497/701/651
SW9 #82 built 1951 serial #17431 1,200-hp ex-Flats Industrial RR #82; ex-Ford Motor Company; originally Montour Railroad #82
SW9 #84 built 1951 serial #17433 1,200-hp ex-Pennsylvania Southwestern RR #1215; ex-Alliquippa Southern #1215; originally Montour Railroad #84

American Locomotive Company Diesel Locomotives

S2 #100 built 1956 serial #81813 1,000-hp ex-Southern Pacific #1072/1239
RS3 #1077 built 1955 serial #81353 1,600-hp ex-Michigan Shore #1077; ex-Detroit & Makinac 31077; ex-Long Island Rail Road #1553
RS3 #4099 built 1952 serial #80299 1,600-hp ex-Cuyahog Valley Scenic 4099; ex-Delaware & Hudson #4099
S2 #14 built 1941 serial #69489 1,000-hp ex-Youngstown & Austintown; originally Newburgh & South Shore #1014
S2 #1663 built 1951 serial #78709 1,000-hp ex-South Buffalo Railway #63
RS18 #1800 built 1968 serial #M3497-01 1,800-hp named Chappy for Ohio Central employee Nelson Tarbert; ex-International Nickel Co. #208-2
T6 #400 built 1968 serial #6004-01 1,000-hp ex-Copperweld Steel #400; ex-Monongahela Connecting #400
C424 #7230 built 1964 serial #3382-03 2,400-hp ex-Erie Mining #37230
S4 #9100 built 1957 serial #81985 1,000-hp now painted Baltimore & Ohio #9100; ex-Timken #8075; originally B&O #9100

McCloud River 2-8-2 No. 19

Specifications
Builder:Baldwin Locomotive Works – Philadelphia, Penn.
Built:April 1915
Serial Number:#42000
Wheel Arrangement:2-8-2 Mikado
Driver Diameter:48″
Cylinder Bore x Stroke:20″ x 28″
Boiler Pressure:180 psi
Pulling Power:36,680 lbs. tractive effort
Engine Weight:90 tons (engine) 55 tons (tender)
Length:57′ 3″ (wheelbase only)
Fuel:Oil (converted from coal)
Status:In shop being rebuilt for operation

A 1915 product of the Baldwin Locomotive Works, this superheated 2-8-2 was constructed as No. 4 for the Caddo & Choctaw logging railroad in Arkansas. It was the 42,000th locomotive built by Baldwin, and was rolled out of the shop on April 9th wearing a coat of olive green paint on its wheels, tender, domes, pilot and cab. This handsome 90-ton Mikado also had a planished iron boiler jacket, black smoke box and firebox, and was decorated with gold lettering and striping. Its cab sides carried the name R.L. Rowan for Rufus Lee Rowan, an engineer on the Caddo & Choctaw.

The C&C sold No. 4 to the United States Smelting, Refining and Mining Company, where it operated in Pachuca, Mexico. a silver mining region northeast of Mexico City. The R.L. Rowan was repainted black and re-lettered for the Cia de Real del Monte y Pachuca as its No. 105. Around the time that the engine was sent to Mexico, it was apparently converted to burn oil instead of coal, with this conversion possibly even happening prior to leaving Arkansas. After a four-year career in Mexico, the No. 105 was again sold to the McCloud River Railroad in northern California, which renumbered it to No. 19. The engine worked in regular service at McCloud until purchased by the Yreka Western three decades later. While owned by YW, No. 19 was leased for summertime excursion service in Oregon. During a hiatus in Oregon, it famously appeared in the 1972 feature film The Emperor of the North and the 1986 movie Stand By Me.

After returning to Yreka in 1988, the No. 19 was again overhauled and ran in intermittent excursion service on YW until operations dwindled and ceased altogether in 2008. As a valuable financial asset, the 2-8-2 was caught-up in a series of lawsuits, and stored at Yreka until a 2016 sheriff’s sale. That legal action permitted No. 19’s title to be cleared, creditors paid and a sale to Jerry Jacobson. No. 19 was shipped across the country via railroad flatcar, and arrived at AoSR in 2017. Crews are currently replacing portions of the engine’s firebox in preparation for a return to operation.

McCloud River 2-6-2 No. 9

Specifications
Builder:Baldwin Locomotive Works – Philadelphia, Penn.
Built:1901
Serial Number:#18596
Wheel Arrangement:2-6-2 Prairie
Driver Diameter:44″
Cylinder Bore x Stroke:16″ x 24″
Boiler Pressure:160 psi
Pulling Power:19,000 lbs. tractive effort
Length:55′
Fuel:Oil
Status:Non-operational

It was the dawn of the 20th Century, and business was booming on California’s McCloud River Railroad. In need of additional locomotives, the lumber hauler turned to Baldwin for a pair of low-wheeled 2-6-2’s, No. 8 and No. 9. Arriving in 1901, the engines were trim, lightweight machines designed to handle light track and sharp curves. Operating through the forests of northern California, these two locos were designed to burn wood, which was in abundant supply. But wood-burning boilers had several drawbacks (not the least of which was their tendency to start trackside fires during the dry season), so No. 9 was converted to burn oil in 1920. It was retired in 1934, rebuilt in 1937 and stored until purchased by Yreka Western Railroad in December 1939.

After five years of service on the YWRR, No. 9 was again sold, this time to the Amador Central Railroad. The former YW 2-6-2 was not relettered to reflect its new ACRR ownership, and also retained its road number. During the following year (1945) No. 9 was sold to the Nez Perce & Idaho RR, and continued to wear its YW identification. It has not been determined just when NP&I No. 9 was retired, but this 2-6-2 sat derelict until 1964 when it was purchased by Richard Hinebaugh and moved to Mid-Continent Railroad Museum in North Freedom, Wisconsin. The museum rebuilt No. 9 for operation the little steamer was put back to work on tourist trains.

During the summer of 1971 the new Kettle Moraine steam tourist railroad began operations on four miles of track in North Lake, Wisconsin. Initially, KM used other privately-owned steamers, but eventually No. 9 (then nicknamed Sequoia) was moved to North Lake. The Kettle Moraine became an unfortunate victim of real estate development of former farm land. New residents complained about smoke, noise and visiting tourist traffic in town, and the steam train ride was no longer wanted in the upscale village. October 28, 2001 was the the KM’s last day of operation.

Number 9, by this point owned by KM’s Steve Butler, was stored indoors at North Lake until it was sold to Jerry Jacobson in 2015. The well-traveled 2-6-2 arrived at the Roundhouse on August 25, 2015.