Roundhouse News

SUGARCREEK, Ohio — The Age of Steam Roundhouse Museum announces with deep sadness the passing of Laura Jacobson (Schlabach) on November 18, 2025.

Laura, with her late husband Jerry Joe Jacobson, founded the Jerry and Laura Jacobson Foundation, Inc., which established the Age of Steam Roundhouse Museum in Sugarcreek, Ohio. Laura remained on the Board of Directors until her passing, continuing to lead the nonprofit institution dedicated to the restoration, preservation, and operation of historic steam locomotives for the education, entertainment, and enlightenment of guests.

Laura began her railroading life in 1988 when she married Jerry Joe Jacobson. A known railroad enthusiast. Jerry owned the Ohio Central Railroad and Laura quickly, and easily, took over the task of managing the steam passenger train operations and gift shop in Sugarcreek. Her knowledge and abilities were quickly apparent to Jerry and many times he would concede that the railroad, and ultimately the museum, would never have gotten where it did if Laura had not been there to make it happen. Laura’s passion for rail heritage, steadfast leadership, and unwavering commitment to preserving America’s steam history were instrumental in shaping the museum into the internationally respected organization it is today.

Laura worked tirelessly at the Ohio Central Railroad and at the Age of Steam Roundhouse to ensure that the stories, craftsmanship, and engineering achievements of the steam era were reflected by the museum and would be safeguarded for future generations. Her vision and dedication helped build not only a world-class museum, but a community of enthusiasts, historians, volunteers, and supporters who continue to carry the mission forward.

A public viewing will be held at Smith-Varns Funeral Home in Sugarcreek, Ohio, on November 23 from 1-3 pm and 4-6 pm. A private interment will be held at a later date.

The Age of Steam Roundhouse Museum extends its deepest condolences to Laura’s family, her many friends, and all who were touched by her remarkable life, legacy, and kindness.

SUGARCREEK, Ohio — The Age of Steam Roundhouse Museum is excited to announce the acquisition of former Chesapeake & Ohio Railway (C&O) 2-6-6-2 steam locomotive #1308 from the Collis P. Huntington Railroad Historical Society (CPH) in Huntington, West Virginia.

“The #1308 has been displayed unprotected outdoors in a Huntington city park since October 9, 1962,” said Nathan Vance, Executive Director of Age of Steam Roundhouse Museum (AoSRM). “While CPH members regularly repainted their steamer, paint protected only #1308’s exterior surfaces, and rusting of the locomotive’s boiler and all the other steel parts has continued unabated from the inside out for 63 years. The Age of Steam Roundhouse Museum can end all of that.” Added Vance.

The AoSRM, which is a heated and dry environment that was constructed by our founder, Jerry Joe Jacobson, to restore, operate, maintain, and exhibit his personal collection of steam locomotives, the 18-stall AoSRM is a great home for any railroad relic to keep it from the elements of rain, snow, and ice.

“The Age of Steam Roundhouse Museum always wanted an articulated locomotive having dual sets of driving wheels underneath one long boiler, with the forward set of drivers having the ability to swing from side to side as needed to navigate curved tracks.” Added Age of Steam Roundhouse Museum, Chief Mechanical Officer, Tim Sposato. “Age of Steam Roundhouse Museum management inquired with CPH officials if they would consider relinquishing ownership of the #1308, and we were pleasantly surprised to learn that the CPH Board of Directors liked the idea of possible new ownership for their locomotive,” Sposato added.

The AoSRM’s ability to transport, rebuild, restore, and display locomotives inside the Roundhouse helped the CPH board unanimously voted to release #1308 to the AoSRM.

The #1308 is one of ten such 2-6-6-2 articulated locomotives built in November 1949 to pull C&O coal trains from several privately-owned coal loading tipples to the railroad’s large assembly yard in the unincorporated community of Peach Creek, located in Logan County, West Virginia. There are fewer than 30 such articulated steam locomotives remaining today, and the AoSRM is fortunate to acquire one of these rarities, especially because it is Baldwin Locomotive Works ‘ next-to-last locomotive constructed for use in the United States. #1308 is the AoSRM’s 25th steam locomotive in the collection.

“Now begins the gargantuan task of moving the 99-foot long, 500-ton #1308 from Huntington, West Virginia, to Sugarcreek, Ohio.” Said Vance. “The Age of Steam Roundhouse Museum has accomplished such feats in the past, and we are well prepared to do so once again.” Commented Vance.

For more information about the Age of Steam Roundhouse Museum and to stay updated on #1308, visit ageofsteamroundhouse.org, and also keep up to date with the latest news on Facebook.

SUGARCREEK, Ohio — The Age of Steam Roundhouse Museum is honored to receive the 2025 Significant Achievement Award – Steam from the HeritageRail Alliance for the cosmetic restoration of Bessemer & Lake Erie #643 steam locomotive. This award recognizes the exceptional skill and dedication of our restoration team in preserving and showcasing historic locomotives.

B&LE #643 arrived at the Age of Steam Roundhouse Museum on January 31, 2024. Acquiring this locomotive was a lifelong dream of Jerry Jacobson, who envisioned restoring and displaying it alongside the museum’s other steam locomotives. As the largest locomotive in the museum’s collection, B&LE #643 measures over 108 feet in length, stands more than 16 feet high, and weighs 450 tons without coal and water. With 26 tons of coal and 23,000 gallons of water, the locomotive’s total weight reaches an impressive 572 tons.

“All the staff and volunteers at the Age of Steam Roundhouse Museum greatly appreciate the HeritageRail Alliance for the decision to award this honor for the restoration of No. 643 to its ‘as in service’ appearance for our visitors and future generations.” Said Tim Sposato, Chief Mechanical Officer

 “This vision to see through a window into the past is important for rail-oriented organizations to  help expose the colorful history of railroading history.” Sposato added.

The full cosmetic restoration of #643 was completed in March 2025, and the locomotive is now on public display. The museum’s back shop takes great pride in each restoration project, dedicating extensive hours and expertise to ensure every locomotive receives meticulous care from top to bottom.

For more information about the Age of Steam Roundhouse Museum, visit ageofsteamroundhouse.org and keep up to date with the latest news on Facebook.

September 11, 2025, marks the seventy-fifth anniversary of the West Lafayette troop train collision.

In the early morning hours of September 11, 1950, a Pennsylvania National Guard Troop train, disabled three-quarters of a mile west of West Lafayette, Ohio, was struck in the rear by the passenger train “Spirit of St. Louis,” resulting in the death of 33 soldiers.

The troop train, commanded by LTC Townsend, was carrying members of the 109th Field Artillery Battalion en route from Wilkes-Barre to Camp Atterbury before being deployed to Germany during the Korean Conflict.

Radio station WTNS in Coshocton and news director John R. Terry broadcast a live radio-telephone hook-up to a radio station in Wilkes-Barre.

The rescue effort involved citizens of West Lafayette, Coshocton, and surrounding areas.

There is now a Troop Train Memorial in West Lafayette, OH.

Killed In the Wreck:

Service Battery:
CORP. CARL W. ARMBRUSTER.
CORP. JOHN L. BARNA.
PVT. WILLIAM R. DISBROW.
CORP. JOSEPH E. FLETCHER.
PFC EDWARD W. GALLAGHER.
PVT. WALLACE R. LUDWIG.
WO JAMES F. McGINLEY.
SGT. BERNARD S. OKRASINSKI.
CORP. THOMAS M. OSTRASZEWSKI.
PVT. WILLIAM F. TIERNEY.
CAPT. ARTHUR J. THOMAS.
RCT. THOMAS W. WALLACE.

Battery B.
PFC LEONARD BALONIS.
RCT. EUGENE CARR.
SGT. JOHN W. COX.
RCT. WILLIAM J. DOUGHERTY.
SGT WILLIAM C. EDWARDS.
RCT. HUGH L. FARGUS.
PFC. HAROLD HANDLOS.
PFC CLYDE P. HARDING.
PFC MARTIN F. HORNLEIN.
PFC RONALD J. JACKSON.
SGT. LESTER J. KUEHN.
CORP. LARRY L. LUZENSKI.
RCT. FRANK C. MARTINEZ.
RCT. CHARLES NORTON.
PFC RAYMOND PUDLOWSKI.
RCT RICHARD A. ROYER.
RCT. WILLIAM F. SOBERS.
WO WILLIAM M. WELLINGTON.
SGT. GILBERT B. WHARTON.
PFC EDMUND ZABICKI.
PFC DONALD C. ZIEKER.

A small display concerning this incident can be viewed in the lobby of the Age of Steam Roundhouse Museum through November.

Sugarcreek, Ohio – The Age of Steam Roundhouse Museum (AoSRM) in Sugarcreek, Ohio, is pleased to announce that after a year and a half of planning, the construction of a new, 10-stall roundhouse has begun. As a separate structure disconnected from the existing 18-stall AoSRM roundhouse with its display of 24 steam locomotives, the planned structure – officially referred to as the “East Roundhouse” – will contain an office, storeroom, and 10 stalls for rolling stock. This building was always included on the AoSRM master site plan, created by Jerry Jacobson dating back to 2008, but is needed now because the museum’s collection of vintage locomotives and railroad cars is beginning to outgrow the available space.

“When completed next year, the Age of Steam’s new East Roundhouse will increase our current roundhouse track capacity by 56%,” said Tim Sposato, Chief Mechanical Officer at AoSRM.

Unlike the current AoSRM roundhouse’s timber framing that uses heavy wooden parts, the new East Roundhouse’s interior structure will be framed with steel girders, columns, and beams, just as used in more modern roundhouses constructed during the 1930s and 40s. For an older exterior appearance, the back wall will be made of composite materials with fewer and narrower windows. Capping the new building will be an old-style monitor roof with a cupola. The East Roundhouse will have end walls made of brick and the front wall will employ electrically-operated, roll-type doors as points of ingress and egress for its 10 tracks, just as they did a century ago when older roundhouses were updated with these lower-maintenance doors. Like the longer stalls of the existing roundhouse, each new stall will have a 112-foot interior track. And for preservation, the East Roundhouse floors will be radiantly heated by pumping hot water through a spider web of tubes strategically placed within the 14-inch-thick concrete floors, just as found in the existing AoSRM roundhouse. 

It is planned that AoSRM’s new East Roundhouse will go into full service during 2026 and is not intended for public exhibition.  However, items located inside will be exchanged with those on the tour route of the main roundhouse to provide differing tour experiences.

For more information about the Age of Steam Roundhouse Museum, visit ageofsteamroundhouse.org and keep up to date with the latest news on Facebook.

By Joe Herrick

01 April 2025

In 2024, the Union Pacific Railroad announced “Big Boy” No. 4014’s summer and fall “Heartland of America” tours.  No. 4014 returned to the rails with public display days at communities along the route from Roseville, California, to Big Sandy, Texas.

The Union Pacific’s legendary locomotive “Big Boy” No. 4014, the world’s largest operating steam locomotive, built to conquer mountains, made 19 whistle-stops in five states during the summer of its “Westward Bound” tour from Wyoming to California.  It visited more than three dozen other communities on the fall leg of the tour across ten additional states.

Unfortunately, we cannot offer you an up-close look at the 1.2-million-pound marvel No. 4014, as there are no plans to bring it to Ohio.  However, the Age of Steam Roundhouse Museum does house an original “Big Boy.”

Sadly, we cannot offer you access to our original “Big Boy.” Standing guard in the Roundhouse crew lunchroom, which is not accessible to the public, he is always “on duty.”

Ohio Central Railroad owner Jerry Joe Jacobson had many dealings with a railroad demolition and salvage operator and collector by the name of Brian Maiher.  Of course, Maiher salvaged many properties other than railroads, such as hospitals and restaurants.

At one point in time, Frisch’s restaurants were among Jerry’s favorites.  One day, Jerry and Chief Mechanical Officer Tim Sposato were picking up items from Maiher.  Jerry noticed two statues of the iconic Frisch’s mascot which is…” Big Boy.”  Large Big Boy was eight feet tall. Small Big Boy, only four feet tall.

After some discussion with Tim concerning where to place a “Big Boy” in the roundhouse, a deal was reached with Mr. Maiher, and now, a small “Big Boy” resides in the lunchroom of the Age of Steam Roundhouse Museum.  Part of his duties includes building morale and heralding the seasons in the roundhouse, getting decorated for Christmas, Halloween, etc.

I hope you are all enjoying the April Fools tomfoolery!

Refund Policy

Tickets may be refunded for cancellations up to 24 hours before a scheduled tour or event begins.  The processing fee, or any other incurred charges, will not be refunded.  No refunds will be given within 24 hours of, or after, the ticketed tour or event start time.